Under general supervision, oversees the day to day activities of staff providing clinical support services involving the sterilization, preparation, distribution, collection, and storage of medical supplies and equipment.
1. Supervises, trains, and evaluates staff. Determines daily work priorities, assigns, and reviews work.
2. Prepares monthly staffing schedules and approves leave requests.
3. Assists in resolving daily problems related to service delivery and equipment malfunction.
4. Coordinates the implementation of procedures regarding sterilization operations, inventory control, and distribution.
5. Provides the resources for staff to perform their daily functions such as scrub wear in central sterilization, lab coats in the clinical areas; and supplies, materials, and instruments for cassette assembly.
6. Monitors sterilization and quality assurance records. Prepares routine reports.
7. Performs all of the duties of a Dental Sterilization Aide as needed.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High-school diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Three years in central sterilization or materials management in a health care environment.
Through knowledge of central sterilization or materials management operations, of sterilization decontamination procedure and universal precautions regarding the handling of infectious waste. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to train, supervise, and evaluate personnel. Ability to prepare reports and maintain records. Ability to perform extensive standing and walking. Ability to push and pull carts of supplies to make deliveries around building. Ability to lift, stock shelves, and load carts of supplies and equipment. Skill in operating equipment such as sonic washers,sterilizers, autoclaves, heat sealers, and sharpening wheels. Ability to use computers and other standard office equipment. Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class may be required to receive immunization shots to prevent illness due to exposure to bloodborne pathogens.