Under general supervision, processes, embeds, sections, and stains tissue from clinical and research specimens, for electron microscopy or histology according to standardized departmental laboratory procedures.
1. Processes tissues for observation by Pathologists under electron microscope and/or the light microscope using standardized techniques. When necessary, uses techniques such as negative staining, critical point drying, or rapid freezing.
2. Embeds processed tissue for both histology and electron microscopy using specialized instruments such as ultramicrotomes, cryostats, and paraffin microtomes.
3. Stains sections for both electron microscopy and histology using both routine and special staining methods.
4. Prepares reagents and staining solutions used. Prepares other solutions and chemicals as needed in accordance with departmental operating procedures.
5. Operates or uses routine laboratory equipment such as microtomes, diamond knives, cryomicrotomes, stainers, microscopes, tissue processors, centrifuges, pH meters, and glass knives. Cleans and maintains equipment.
6. Keeps maintenance and service logs on equipment in accordance with laboratory accreditation guidelines and departmental procedures.
7. Maintains records and files of specimens, their products and applicable quality control activities, in accordance with laboratory accreditation agency guidelines.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Two years specialized laboratory specimen preparation experience in histology or electron microscopy depending in the specific area to be supported.
General knowledge of applicable safety, quality control, specialized processing and staining techniques and specimen handling guidelines and procedures. Skill in using applicable laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, microscopes, ultramicrotomes, paraffin microtomes, stainers, diamond knives, glass knives, cryostats and sterilizers.Ability to work quickly and accurately when under strict deadlines; excellent hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills; and to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.