Under general supervision, provides counseling services to clients of an alcoholism or drug addiction program
1. Conducts initial intake and evaluation.
2. Identifies symptoms of the acutely ill alcoholic or drug addicted client and responds to their needs by securing appropriate medical services.
3. Identifies family, employment, or other difficulties.
4. Participates in group and/or individual counseling of clients and their families.
5. Makes referrals to other social service or health care agencies.
6. Participates in clinical data collection for research activities.
7. Develops and presents case histories.
8. Participates in training allied health students in addiction counseling methods and techniques.
9. Assists in developing training and education seminars and workshops.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Three years providing counseling services in a health care or social work setting.
General knowledge of basic counseling; of the requirements for confidentiality of records and communications regarding clients. Skill in interviewing and counseling techniques. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to prepare clear and concise records and reports; to make effective presentations; to interact effectively with the public, health care providers, outside agencies and other facilities; to comply with requirements for confidentiality of client information.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.