Under general supervision, performs a variety of technical support duties and maintains workflow in a specialized unit or library function where professional guidance is not available on a regular basis. Supervises and trains subordinate personnel.
1. Supervises staff and/or services of a unit or function such as billing or stack maintenance. Changes system and develops complex data input parameters as needed. Resolves problems and complaints.
2. Monitors and ensures accuracy and consistency of information in databases.
3. Determines work priorities of assigned staff, trains and evaluates staff performance.
4. Coordinates the technical service aspects of a public service unit such as the input, maintenance, and accuracy of manual and computerized bibliographic files and databases.
5. Coordinates bindery or restoration and repair activities for library. Assesses value, condition and potential use of material. Solves bindery problems and determines from guidelines the appropriate style, alternatives and treatment of materials.
6. Edits problematic bibiliographic entries for library's online automated system using accepted library standards and procedures.
7. Provides basic reference services to users such as answering routine requests for information using standard reference sources and providing correct citations for incomplete and inaccurate bibliographic descriptions.
8. Provides individual instruction on the use of online catalog and other library files. Interprets library policy to users.
9. Authorizes the receipt of shipments of materials. Corresponds with vendors regarding claims and credits incomplete or duplicate shipments. Reviews and certifies accuracy of invoices ensuring records accurately reflects state mandated codes.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Five years progressively responsible experience directly related to the primary duties of the position.
Thorough knowledge and understanding of the nature and function of libraries, of library services, standards and procedures; of bibliographic tools and records, publishing and publication formats and library information storage and retrieval systems. Skill in interpreting and applying library policies, procedures and explaining technical material such as local and national library standards and rules; in using a computer terminal to input and retrieve information; in resolving library technical support problems; in alphabetic and numeric filing; in communicating effectively; in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with library users and staff. Ability to work independently on multiple tasks; to supervise and train subordinate personnel; and to organize work involving conflicting demands.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: