Under general supervision, performs locksmith work which includes electronic and mechanical devices. Installs, repairs and maintains locks, locking systems, door closures and locking devices on all types of doors and equipment. Repairs electronic handicap automatic door operators and modifies building hardware to comport with card access system to include installing micro-electronic switches as part of the campus-wide security system.
1. Installs, repairs, rebuilds, test and opens mechanical and electronic locks, locking systems, door closures and locking devices.
2. Repairs computerized electronic doors operators.
3. Customizes over-the-counter locking hardware to comport to the campus-wide computerized card access system.
4. Diagnoses routine safe lock problems, provides manipulation and/or drilling techniques to open time locks and high-security safes.
5. Maintains elaborate five-stage campus-wide master key system.
6. Installs low-voltage electric door strikes including transformer installation and wiring.
7. Services automobile fleet by replacing ignition and door locks, unlocking vehicles when keys are not available and making and fitting vehicle keys as needed.
8. Participates in security design meetings to provide design specifications on renovations and new construction.
9. Disassembles locks, repairs or replaces worn tumblers, springs and other parts. Inserts new or repaired tumblers into locks to change combination.
10. Maintains extensive and complex records of campus security system. Prepares departmental reports.
11. Provides guidance and training to other maintenance personnel. May have lead responsibility on special projects.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Five years progressively responsible experience in the locksmith trade including maintenance of automatic door operators and involving electro-magnetic key access systems.
General knowledge of electronic locking systems and devices. Thorough knowledge of and skill in the methods and techniques used in the repair, maintenance and installation of locks, keys, locking systems and devices, and door closures. Thorough knowledge of and skill in basic mathematics including area, volume, weights, and the practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions; of OSHA regulations related to the locksmith trade. Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools and equipment of the locksmith trade; in pinning lock tumblers in order to key locking systems and devices to individual suite, master, and grand series. Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions; to prepare summaries and reports; to maintain manual and automated records of key recipients and respective key codes; to communicate effectively; to work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery; to work at heights up to 35 feet; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools, and supplies and/or exert force up to 70 lbs.; to concurrently manipulate multiple controls on equipment and machinery; to work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces, and adverse weather or temperature conditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's license may be required. Candidates selected for employment may be subject to a security background check and must be available for emergencies on an as needed basis.