Under general supervision, is responsible for the operation of a Word Processing Center. Produces documents using automated input and output equipment and related ancillary devices. Supervises and trains subordinate personnel.
1. Supervises the functions of a word processing center. Determines center priorities, plans, schedules, assigns, reviews and expedites work. Determines most efficient method for utilization of personnel and equipment.
2. Supervises and trains center personnel. Writes and/or maintains definitive descriptions of duties assigned to work stations. Recommends skills development for center staff.
3. Codes, classifies, files, retrieves and oversees the maintenance of materials in manual and automated filing systems.
4. Makes recommendation for purchase of all input and output equipment and ancillary devices.
5. Establishes and evaluates methods and procedures for preparing documents. Establishes and assures compliance with quality standards.
6. Consolidates and evaluates production contol logs. Maintains statistics and compiles data for use in reports and preparation of center budget. Prepares reports and correspondence.
7. Performs the duties of a Word Processing Operator.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Five years in progressively responsible clerical work to include three years in word processing and one year in a lead or supervisory capacity.
OTHER: Applicants may be required to complete the institution's required skills assessment to be considered. Some positions require specific skills such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, email or calendaring software, and Internet proficiency.
Comprehensive knowledge of business english, grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, proofreading, document formatting, and editing; of office practice and procedures; of the care and operation of word processing equipment and related ancillary devices. Thorough knowledge of and skill in the use of word processing software packages. Skill in operating manual and automated office equipment; in operating personal computers, word processing equipment and related software; in planning, prioritizing, scheduling, and independently performing difficult word processing assignments. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to establish and maintain effective work relationships; to supervise, motivate and training word processing personnel; to prepare reports and compose correspondence; to perform mathematical computations; to follow complex oral and written instructions.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: