The Research Project Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of research studies in the department. The position coordinates data maintenance, grant expenditure adherence, project evaluation, meeting scheduling, and research subject interfacing. Serves as a point of contact for study participants, research personnel and support staff. Adheres to good clinical practices, study protocols, and applicable regulations. The Research Project Coordinator conducts complex work and contributes to measurable team objectives. Uses discretion to provide solutions to issues. Performs work that is varied and that does not follow prescribed procedures or processes and is responsible for effective operations and use of resources, rather than clinical outcomes.
1. Coordinate and communicate directly with the principle investigator, study participants, and sponsors to manage the operation and evaluation activities of the research studies. Responsible for ensuring optimum efficiency and compliance with appropriate policies, procedures, and specifications. Use evaluation techniques, originality, and ingenuity to resolve non routine issues.
2. Recruit and screen volunteers to participate in research studies. Develop recruitment streams and advise participants of study objective, requirements, risks, benefits and obtains their consent and enrollment.
3. Coordinate the collection and management of study data by developing data collection instruments, establishing and maintaining databases, and performing data quality checks. Develop and implement new processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency of data collection and evaluation. Track, report, and audit study data and regulatory study documentation.
4. Develop and produce reports of study data for project staff and stakeholders. Analyze data and draws conclusions in order to make recommendations. Develop reports summarizing study deviations from protocol and communications with IRB. Contribute meaningful information to enhance publications or grant applications.
5. Monitor activities to ensure compliance with protocols and all relevant local, federal, and state regulatory and institutional policies. Assist in budget development, expenditure adherence, and maintenance of inventory on equipment and supplies.
6. Obtain, process, and transport specimens to appropriate laboratory according to established aseptic technique. Performs venipunctures and finger sticks to obtain blood specimens.
7. May supervise those who perform data entry and perform non-routine data analysis.
8. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in nursing, emergency services, chemistry, biology, public health, psychology or another scientific discipline appropriate to position required.
EXPERIENCE: Prior experience in clinical research or research or project coordination preferred. Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience, such as: Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one (1) year of experience in a field directly related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate.
OTHER: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
Possesses a knowledge of research project requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Ability to understand and utilized scientific/medical terminology and research theory. Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information obtained during treatment in accordance with professional standards, HIPAA (Health Information Portability & Accountability Act) and FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) and state regulations. Ability to gain knowledge and meet the compliance and reporting needs of the universtiy's policies and practices for Institutional Review, Human Protections, Animal Protections, etc. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assume personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses strategies to increase knowledge base. Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding. Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: