Under general supervision, performs automotive work at the advanced level. This is highly skilled work requiring the use of computer diagnostic equipment in the maintenance and repair of a variety of gasoline and diesel powered motor vehicles, transit buses, and equipment. The work of this class differs from the Automotive Services Mechanic in that the Automotive Services Technician performs advanced level tasks in the repair of computerized, mechanical, and electrical systems, and the Automotive Services Mechanic performs journey level tasks in the maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical systems.
1. Inspects and tests vehicles, automotive systems, and related equipment and diagnoses complex malfunctions using computerized diagnostic equipment.
2. Conducts electronic engine analyses and various specialized tests, such as exhaust gas analysis, emission system analysis, electrical system analysis, electronic laboratory oscilloscope analysis, and scan tool analysis.
3. Repairs engine drivability, emissions and other computer controlled mechanical and electrical systems using various electronic and computerized devices.
4. Performs complex mechanical repairs and extensive overhauls of all types of major automotive components, assemblies and sub-assemblies.
5. Operates and maintains tools and equipment of the automotive trade. Cleans work area upon completion of project.
6. Prepares reports and inspection forms.
7. May provide guidance and instruction to lower level Automotive Mechanics.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: Five years progressively responsible experience in servicing, maintenance, and repair of motor vehicles or motor equipment.
Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in applying the principles of operation, basic components, malfunctions, repair practices and preventive maintenance techniques for internal combustion engines including mechanical and computer controlled diesel and motor vehicle systems and sub-assemblies. Thorough knowledge of the procedures, methods, tools, materials, supplies, and technical manuals used in servicing, maintaining, repairing and adjusting automotive equipment. Thorough knowledge of the proper use, care and maintenance of standard hand and power tools. Skill in the proper use and maintenance of the tools and equipment of the automotive trade and in preparing estimates of time and materials required for a job. Skill in and ability to diagnose and correct motor vehicle malfunctions. Ability to read, understand and carry out oral and written instructions; to keep accurate records and make written reports; to communicate effectively; to work in, on, around, under and over machinery and/or fixed equipment; to work at heights of up to 25 feet; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools and supplies; to exert force up to 70 lbs.; to concurrently manipulate multiple controls on machinery and equipment; to work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces, and adverse weather or temperature conditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Valid Maryland commercial driver's license (CDL) or equivalent driver's license may be required. May be required to be trained to work with asbestos. Incumbent may be required to provide all hand and small power tools and tool chests that are necessary to perform work at assigned job level. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications may be required.