Under direct supervision, uses computer-aided drafting (CAD) equipment, provides technical drafting support in creating architectural drawings and mapping (topographical, infrastructure and utilities drawings) maintained in a CAD system. Carries out drafting assignments of a routine nature. Updates drawings based on construction drawings, drawing files or field survey data. Operates plotter, graphic reproduction, and computer-aided design and drafting software.
1. Prepares new and revised layouts using Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software to develop required scale and mapping limits.
2. Reviews engineering drawings and supporting documentation to verify adherence to standard practices and procedures. Confers with supervisor to resolve details not completely defined in existing drawings.
3. Identifies and compiles existing drawings in processing engineering and architectural development projects.
4. Surveys campus grounds to confirm accuracy of map of roads and sidewalks and other physical features to ensure that modifications to existing drawings are identified and properly compiled.
5. Performs field surveys of facilities to confirm architectural accuracy of modifications and dimensions.
6. Retrieves information from internal system files, consultant files or field survey data and displays the information on computer using required computer programs to modify or otherwise edit existing architectural, infrastructure, utilities or topographical drawings. Displays final drawings to verify completeness, clarity, and accuracy. Implements required changes to resolve field problems and improve existing drawings.
7. Prepares layouts or detailed drawings following verbal instruction.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Two-year degree in architectural drafting, CAD training course, or equivalent amount of education and experience in preparing drawings.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of experience in computer-aided drafting or related experience required.
General knowledge of and skill in applying principles, practices, and techniques of using computer-aided design (CAD) to create documents and maps. General knowledge of drafting techniques, engineering terminology, building systems, basic mathematical computations. Ability to use computers and required software. Ability to plan and conduct field surveys, and to maintain accurate records. Ability to read and interpret sketches and schematic drawings from all disciplines. Ability to follow oral and written instructions and communicate both orally and in writing. Ability to operate CAD tools (upgrades to software as appropriate).
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: