Under direct supervision, provides practical nursing care.
1. Performs a variety of practical nursing procedures such as administering prescribed medications, monitoring patient`s vital signs, obtaining specimens for laboratory testing, and assisting with physical examinations.
2. Performs medical treatments such as changing dressings, cleansing and/or irrigating wounds and incisions, catheterizations and suctioning.
3. Observes patients for physical and emotional reactions to medications and treatments, reporting any irregularities to appropriate medical and/or nursing personnel.
4. Records patient`s symptoms, reactions, and progress as well as treatments performed, nursing care received and other data.
5. Provides health education information to patients and their families.
6. Assists patients with activities such as ambulation, bathing, feeding, and grooming.
7. Maintains proper inventories of supplies.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
OTHER: Current licensure as a Practical Nurse by the Maryland State Board of Nursing.
General knowledge of patient care, treatment, planning, and assessment; of the principles of aseptic techniques and infection control including blood and body fluid precautions; of the requirements for compliance with confidentiality of records and communications regarding patients and clients. General knowledge of and skill in administering medications, performing treatments, and operating medical equipment. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to interact with the public, health care providers, and agency representatives; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class must maintain current Practical Nurse licensure and compliance with the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Licensed Practical Nurses. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.