USM Career Opportunities
Executive Director, Maryland Connect Workday Consortium (800041)
Purpose of Position
The Executive Director is a strategic leadership role responsible for overseeing the successful implementation, maintenance, and optimization of the Maryland Connect Consortium’s Workday enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. This position plays a critical role in driving the organization's digital transformation, streamlining business processes, and maximizing the value of the Workday ERP across the participating institutions. The Executive Director operates under the direction of the consortium’s governance board, which is composed of USM member institution’s CFO’s and CIO’s.
Manages the daily Workday Human Resources and Finance functions:
- Leads a team of outsourced and insourced resources to achieve operational and financial excellence.
- Establishes goals, structures, and processes for staff in alignment with the institution’s long-term strategic plan and vision and short-term priorities.
- Develops and manages the Workday service center operations in support of enterprise risk management and other key performance indicators.
- Leads the Service Manager in managing operations in accordance with service level agreements and establishing governance processes.
Provides Workday Product Ownership and Vision:
- Provides overall product management and accountability for delivery of solutions for new capabilities in the Workday platform.
- Develops and monitors product roadmap and key performance indicators, identifies improvement opportunities, and ensures regulatory and policy compliance.
- Delivers solutions that are long-term, large scale, and require consideration of risk management.
- Identifies opportunities for process improvement, automation, and enhanced data analysis using Workday ERP capabilities.
Partners with MD Connect Consortium:
- Works with the governing board to develop strategy, roadmaps, prioritization, and implementation of future products supporting the consortium.
- Works with campus stakeholders and user community to identify and scope process and system improvement.
- Oversees and facilitates the governance groups to ensure smooth release life cycle, enhancement reviews, testing and quality assurance.
Manages Vendors & Contracts:
- Implements Vendor Relationship Management for ERP products that drive service excellence, control costs, and mitigate risks.
- Acts as the primary liaison between the consortium and Workday ERP vendor, fostering a strong partnership and staying informed about product updates and roadmap.
- Manages relationship with the Vendor team, ensuring vendors are held accountable.
- Responsible for managing vendor budgets and performance.
Required Education Level/Certifications:
3 years’ experience managing a Workday, or other equivalent ERP, environment in either a consulting or permanent position and previous successful project management experience with technical staff.
- Strong understanding of ERP technology language and use of applications.
- Leadership, coaching, and team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships.
- Ability to deploy customer service strategies and lead by example.
- Proven project management skills, with the ability to lead cross-functional teams and drive change.
- Strong understanding of HR, Finance, and other business functions supported by Workday or other equivalent ERP.
- Ability to exercise a high level of diplomacy, confidentiality, and trust.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate clearly and concisely across technology and business teams.
- Ability to clearly define business challenges and identify technical and business changes required to address them.
- Ability to drive decision making through a consensus-building approach.
Preferred Education Level/Certifications:
Project management certification.
Workday certification(s) in relevant modules (e.g., HCM, Financials)
Experience with a single tenant multi-company Workday configuration.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: $200,000 to $225,000
Benefits: Exempt Benefits Summary: includes full medical, dental and vision benefits, tuition remission at any of the 12 USM institutions, a generous leave plan, and the option to telework for part of the week.
Application Instructions: Please combine your cover letter, resume and list of references (at least three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and send to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University System of Maryland is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
employer without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran status, physical or
mental disability unrelated to an individual's ability to perform the job, in accordance
with applicable law. As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, applicants should be prepared
to present acceptable documentation showing their identities, their U.S. citizenship or alien status,
and their authorization to work in the United States.
<< Return to USMO Career Opportunities