USM Career Opportunities
Internal Auditor ()
Please Note: The University System of Maryland Office (USMO) has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, all staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective employee at the USMO, you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination before the start of employment or be granted a request for a medical or religious exemption.
- Posted: 10/5/2021
- Best Consideration Date: 10/22/2021
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Department: Internal Audit
- Location: Columbia
Purpose of Position
In-charge auditor from simple to complex audit engagements. Develops audit programs, leads all aspects of audit engagements or works in coordination with other lead assigned auditors. Coordinates and assures superior completion of all phases of audit engagements. Primary focus will be operation and financial audits. Occasions will arise to carry out special, unscheduled assignments, such as fraud investigation support and departmental development assignments.
Auditing--planning, researching, interviewing, conducting field work, and reporting:
Primary responsibility is completing assigned operational and financial audits pertaining to all aspects of USM activities. May apply to specialty or consulting engagements.
- Ascertains whether university organizational units are performing their planning, accounting, custodial, or control activities in a manner consistent with university objectives and high standards of administrative practice, as well as in compliance with management's instructions, applicable policy statements, and procedures.
- Determines the records or activities to be analyzed, the extent of tests to be applied, and the working papers to be prepared.
- Performs audits in accord with approved audit programs in a manner consistent with IIA's International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
- Recommends methods of obtaining, analyzing, and evaluating evidentiary data as the basis of an informed, objective opinion on the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of control and efficiency of the activities under review.
- Suggests methods of implementing new or revised procedures to produce required data, to provide effective internal control, and to improve audit trails.
- Audits new accounting/operating systems.
- Evaluates the ability of accounting and reporting systems to generate reliable and timely data.
- Analyzes cost accounting systems, specific cost representations, and functions they reflect to determine the basis for cost setting under various types of contracts.
- Examines earnings, operating costs, and reserves created for unpaid liabilities; and evaluate budgeting, accounting, procurement, contract records, controls, and procedures.
- Prepares working papers in good form to record and summarize data on the assigned audit.
- Discusses observed conditions with operating personnel to verify facts and obtain explanations for these conditions. Applies automated auditing techniques when reviewing data that is processed and maintained via computerized systems.
- Prepares reports in compliance with departmental standards.
At times, will function as lead auditor in charge of other auditors on certain engagements. Also, may lead in orienting new auditors into the Internal Audit Department.
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university. Candidate for a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or CPA certification.
Experience: 3 years of professional full-time audit experience, preferably with a large public accounting firm, or a government or educational audit organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Proficiency in technical writing. Proficient in selecting and administering appropriate accounting and auditing theories, principles, techniques, and practices. Capable of applying applicable precedents and understanding auditing trends, developments, procedures, and legislation controlling the activity or function audited. Ability to clearly, concisely, and effectively prepare and present both written and oral reports. Able to gain the cooperation of and cooperate with others and to visualize the effects of recommended changes. Must possess tact, persuasiveness, sound judgment, and integrity.
Education: CIA or CPA certification.
Experience: Professional experience with a large public accounting firm or a government or educational audit organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: N/A
FLSA Status: Exempt
Benefits: Exempt Benefits Summary: includes full medical, dental and vision benefits, tuition remission at any of the 12 USM institutions, and generous leave plan.
Application Instructions: Please combine your cover letter, resume and list of references (at least three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and send to the following email address: email@example.com.
The University System of Maryland is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
employer without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran status, physical or
mental disability unrelated to an individual's ability to perform the job, in accordance
with applicable law. As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, applicants should be prepared
to present acceptable documentation showing their identities, their U.S. citizenship or alien status,
and their authorization to work in the United States.
<< Return to USMO Career Opportunities