Under general supervision, provides professional nursing care and
services as will as routine support to a clinical drug trial or
research study in a public medical research institution.
1. Provides individual instruction, guidance and counseling on
health problems, concerns, treatments and procedures.
2. Assists in the development and implementation of various health
education, health promotion and disease prevention activities.
3. Evaluates the nature and severity of patient's problem utilizing
nursing assessment skills. Determines appropriate level of care
needed and develops a nursing plan of care.
4. Performs various nursing procedures such as the administration of
medications and injections and the treatment of wounds and burns.
5. Assists physicians and other health care providers with tasks
such as patient examination, minor surgery and diagnostic
6. Assists in the development and implementation of policies and
procedures such as infection control, immunization and safety.
7. Participates in quality assurance activities such as peer review,
medical record review, program evaluation and quality improvement
8. Coordinates referrals to community or other health and human
service facilities and serves as a patient liaison with these
9. Collects, performs, and/or interprets laboratory tests.
10. Controls drug inventory including narcotics and other controlled
11. Provides assistance to a clinical drug trial or research study by
screening volunteers, collecting data, and administering study
drug or special procedures.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Currently licensed with the Maryland State Board of Examiners of
Nurses as a Registered Nurse under Maryland State Law.
General knowledge of the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Registered
Nurses. General knowledge of the principles of aseptic technique and
infection control including blood and body fluid precautions. Ability
to perform extensive standing and walking. Knowledge, skill and
ability to perform various medical and nursing procedures and to
operate medical equipment. Ability to communicate effectively both
orally and in writing. Ability to gather and interpret quantitative
and qualitative data. Skill and ability to interact with the public,
health care providers, agencies and facilities. General knowledge of
and compliance with confidentiality of records and communications
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examination to determine ability to perform the job.
Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and
random drug testing. Overtime, weekend, on-call and shift work may be
required in some positions. Employees in this job class will be
required to comply with the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Registered