Board of Regents Staff Awards
A CUSS initiative, the Board of Regents' USM Staff Awards represents the highest honor bestowed by the Board of Regents for achievements of Exempt and Nonexempt Staff employees from institutions within the University System of Maryland. The awards are presented to individual Staff employees who have demonstrated excellence.
The nominee’s success should be beyond the scope of their full-time professional responsibilities. These awards are based on the quality of the nominee’s work within their institution, community or surrounding environment. The awards are measured by the impact the nominee makes within the five award categories listed below.
1. Exceptional Contribution to the Institution and/or Unit to Which the Person Belongs
2. Outstanding Service to Students in an Academic or Residential Environment
3. Extraordinary Public Service to the University or Greater Community
4. Effectiveness and Efficiency
5. Inclusion, Multiculturalism, and Social Justice
There are two awards given in each of the five (5) categories - one for an Exempt Staff employee and one for a Non-exempt Staff employee.
In the Effectiveness and Efficiency category an award can be given to two exempt or two nonexempt staff employees or one exempt and one nonexempt.
Each awardee will receive a $2,000.00 stipend and a plaque in recognition of the award being received.
It is recommended that your Institution publicize the accomplishments of those outstanding individuals granted this honor.
Awards will be announced in mid-July 2020 and formally presented to the awardees at the Board of Regents September meeting.
Contract All | Expand All
Exceptional Contribution to the Institution and/or Unit to Which the Person Belongs
- A creative and implemented approach to process improvements
- Original idea that contributed to the success of the unit/institution
- A Staff employee who is in a non-leadership position that provided leadership, team building and/or facilitated a team or project that enhanced the organization
- A Staff employee in a leadership position that consistently grows their organization by mentoring and growing each of their subordinates
Outstanding Service to Students in an Academic or Residential Environment
- Someone who consistently makes a difference and impact in student lives
- Contributed to an innovative, original idea that implemented and transformed an aspect of the “student experience”
Extraordinary Public Service to the University or Greater Community
- A personal dedication to a project or cause that definitively improved the greater community
- Staff employee of the USM community who throughout his/her career has, in a collaborative and sustained manner, made a difference in the larger community
- The award is based on a sustained record of service over a period of years carried out through the individual’s role(s) in the University rather than as a private citizen
Effectiveness and Efficiency Award (Two Categories)
- To publicly recognize exemplary ideas that, when implemented, will serve to further the University System of Maryland’s goal to continually increase the effective and efficient use of its resources. One award from the listed categories may be made for an exemplary initiative that has the potential to be implemented system-wide.
Awards shall be bestowed in the following two categories:
- Improved learning and a minimum cost savings of $10,000.00
- Improved effectiveness and efficiency resulting in a minimum cost savings of $10,000.00
- In addition to the existing application procedures, the nominee’s packet needs to include:
1. A breif description of the innovative initiative
2. Potential benefits
3. Magnitude (single/multiple institutions or system-wide)
4. Effectiveness and efficiency to be attained (including estimated cost and/or resource savings)
Award recipients may be invited to address the Board.
For further detail on current initiatives, applicants will be advised to review the Effectiveness & Efficiency reports available at: http://www.usmd.edu/usm/workgroups/EEWorkGroup/eeproject/index
Inclusion, Multiculturalism, and Social Justice:
This award salutes the outstanding work of a USM staff member in their ability to build, nurture, and advance inclusion, multiculturalism, and social justice practices within their community. Their community may comprise their internal institutional community, their external institutional community, or a combination of the two.
Review criteria includes outcomes, including, but not limited to:
1. Community engagement in diversity dialogue and education
2. Examination and modification of current practices of one’s department/institution that support inclusion
3. Implementation of initiatives that foster inclusion, multiculturalism, and social justice
Documents of Interest